If you want to link email to a specific opportunity or job then this must be done explicitly. There isn't a way we can automatically do this, unfortunately.
1. Put the opportunity/job code or external reference in the subject line when sending an email in the format "(m#xxxx)" where the xxxx is replaced with the code of the opportunity/job or the External Reference of the opportunity/job. It is important to include brackets as per the format indicated otherwise it will not work.
The external reference can be found/specified when viewing the opportunity/job and in many of the other views.
- Create a unique reference for the opportunity/job such as "RETAINER". (not case sensitive)
- Put into the email in the format "(m#Retainer)" * Note the brackets. It is not case sensitive.
This reference field is set while editing the opportunity/job.
- If an email was received that didn't have the opportunity/job code in it then you can still link the email to the opportunity/job manually:
- Click on Clients.
- Click on Emails.
- Search and select the relevant email.
- Choose "Link emails messages to opportunity / job".
- Select the Opportunity / Job and hit save.
See the screenshots below:
- Click the email icon when viewing the opportunity/job to show emails linked explicitly to the job.
- Click the email icon when viewing the company to show all emails sent/received with contacts in that company.
- Click the email icon when viewing the contact to show all emails sent/received with contacts in that contact.
Screenshot showing Emails icon on a job